So how about a lovely and decadent dessert … well why not try out this recipe for a Stick Orange Cake .. delightful!!
Prep Time: 20 mins
Cook Time: 50 mins
- 2tbsp golden syrup
- 3 large oranges
- 225g (8oz) unsalted butter, softened
- 225g (8oz) caster sugar
- 3 medium eggs, lightly beaten
- 100g (3½oz) plain flour, sifted
- 75g (3oz) polenta or semolina
- 1½tsp baking powder
- Icing sugar, optional, to dust
- Cre?me frai?che, to serve
- Preheat oven to 170°C (150°C fan) mark 3. Line a 20.5cm (8in) springform tin with one piece of baking parchment, pushing it down into edges as much as possible. Measure golden syrup into the base of the lined tin.
- With a small serrated knife, cut peel and pith off two oranges. Cut peeled oranges into 5mm ¼in) thick slices (cutting across segments). Discard any seeds. Arrange slices in base of tin, over syrup. Zest and juice remaining orange; set aside.
- Put butter and caster sugar into a large bowl. Beat together using a electric whisk until pale and fluffy, about 3min. Gradually beat in eggs, then use a large metal spoon to fold in flour, polenta or semolina, baking powder and reserved zest and juice. Spoon mixture into tin and gently level surface. Bake for 40-45min until golden and a skewer inserted into centre comes out clean.
- Leave cake to cool in tin for 10min, then unclip tin, put a large serving plate on top of tin and invert. Lift off tin; peel off paper. If you like, dust top of cake with icing sugar and caramelise with a blow torch. Serve in slices with cre?me frai?che.